Sunday, November 04, 2012

Buy Handmade vol 30

This week we travel abroad to France



Name: Isil Cayzac
Age:27
Occupation: hair accessories designer
Etsy Shop: The ancient muse

Tell us a little about yourself.

Hi, My name is Isil, I live in south west of France in Bordeaux. Spending most of my time in working  but also some very quality time wondering in 19 century city of Bordeaux searching for some cozy places. Nothing is better than a hot drink in a cozy cafe in the cold winter saturday with friends.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
I am working with wood since 4 years however designing since secondary school. I am on etsy since may 2011.

How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?

The Ancient Muse name come from a very deep meaning for me. I have join some Ancient Greek archaeological digs before I have started working with the wood. One of them was Klaros, an oracle of the Ancient god Apollo (the god of son and arts).  It was a mud site, the oracle was almost under the water. It was exiting because there was no oxygen many organic materials which can not survive in normal conditions survived to our time. One of them was this gorgeous olive tree and I have seen it going into light piece by piece. I was very impressed the beauty of a 3000 year old tree. Then after I have decided to do my designs on wood and start carving. I was thinking it is Apollo with its muses give me the inspiration. When the time come to choose the name of my shop I did not think a lot. It was the Ancient Muse because the reason I was doing it was an ancient muse.

Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be?

Yes, My shop is my full-time job and I am enjoying every part of it.



How would you describe your creative process?

Hmm, this is a difficult question. First is the inspiration part. I am into so many things. I love the whole world cultures, history and archaeology and I have studied and still studying them. Also fashion especially the Asian fashion is my inspiration points. After I have an idea of what I will be doing then it is my own designing process starts. I draw, draw and draw until get a satisfying design. Then the utility process starts. Each design has to serve the best way as possible so I experiment the size, the shape of the designs until I reach the good result. Then the carving and finishing process. I sometimes use oils to finish my designs and sometimes taints and even gold painting.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

My inspirations comes from different historical periods and different cultures as well as current fashion styles. It all depends on my mood, it is fun. One day I wonder about aztecs and tribes and here I am making a hair piece inspired from them. The other day I am more poetic and inspired from Japan and cherry blossoms.

Do you also sell your work at craft shows? 

For now I am not selling in craft shows.

What is your most cherished handmade item?

I have few of them but my bats are my favorites. I really enjoy doing bats. They are cute animals and I love to see them in a cute creepy way. 





Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?

I spend most of my past time with drawing these days. And I also spend my free time doing some collaborations with a photographer friend Natalie Causse from Lumiere du matin (etsy).

Five years from now you will be…

I do not want to imagine so much. But I hope in 5 years I will still be doing what I am doing with a bigger experience and much more diversity of designs. It is a long way.....

Describe yourself in five words:
Poetic, melancholic, friendly, cute, animal lover,




Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your <insert whatever type of music player you use here>, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?

I love a large palette of music from metal music to French pop. Also some Japanese pop music.
1- Him -albums.
2-Franz Ferdinand- Do you want to
3- Emilie Simon- her French Victorian inspiration and melancholy is very inspiring for me
4-Yodelice- sunday with the flue
5-Arc en ciel- Japanese rock band.

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?

Opening a shop is a big decision and creating is not enough. As having a nice window is important for a shop, having a great display is very important for craft shows and having very good pictures are essential for internet sales. For selling in Internet, work on your products and photos seasonal. Place as much as products possible in your shop. More is better.

** All photos taken by Lumiere Du Matin