Monday, February 25, 2013

A little bit of history..




Aren't these amazing? My mom gave them to me. My great-grandmother had made them ages ago. Look at the detail, so teeny-tiny and amazing. Each "grape" is actually a bottle cap. I am so excited to have these, I love knowing that someone else in my family was creative and enjoyed crocheting and crafting. I have blankets and pillows that were made by my grandma too, and one blanket set made by my great-aunt (my gramma's sister). It's sad thinking about it though. Because when they were alive (well not my great-gramma, I never met her) but when both my grammas were alive that they didn't teach me how to knit, crochet and sew. It skipped over my mom (sorry mom, but you know it's true!) and the gene was planted in me. I only got into crafting, sewing, knitting, crocheting within the past 10 years. It would have been such a treat to have a gramma teaching me though.

Who taught you how to sew/knit/crochet? Do you have a gramma (or relative) that took you under her wing and taught you all her techniques? I think for so many of us, when we are young we just want to do our own thing..but when we grow older we realize the missed opportunities, the missed conversations, the missed chances to learn we could have experienced. 

If you are young or old, and still have older generations in your family. Take this time to talk to them about how things were in "their time". Learn about your history. History that, while yes, we can go and search on ancestory dot com. but it's not the same as hearing the personal details that only a person can hold and share.