Thursday, June 27, 2013

birthday thoughts..


So today I turn 37. I'm not sure entirely how I got to be this old. I still act, look and feel like I'm in my 20's. I see friends and family around me with their children now being teenagers, and we have yet to even have our first (IF we have one at all) 

Sometimes I still think I have all the time in the world to make up my mind on that front..when I know I really don't. Have to really start thinking hard on the subject because recently I've been thinking again that maybe I would want one little human running around. I see my husband with our nieces and nephews and it's almost heartbreaking how amazing he is with children. Everyone sees it and comments on how great of a dad he would be... ah, just rambling thoughts that I have thought many times in the past.

The past..well while I'll just say, I've had some pretty low lows. I don't want to share everything on this ol blog for a few reasons. But one main reason is I don't want to come across as this constant complainer, pity me type. We all go through crap in our lives and deal with these things differently. But this past week we have made a pretty large lifestyle change and it's definitely for the best and brings along with it a large stress relief for us. So for that, I am grateful. 

I am looking forward to year 37 on this planet in a positive light, something I haven't been able to see in far too long. All I was seeing was the negative and that is going to change. 

I was going to put together a 37 before 38 list for this post - and I think I still might work on it. I love seeing a list and being able to cross things off. That's always the best feeling in the world.

So here is to a fresh new year. I think 37 is going to be a good year...happy birthday to me....


Okay..I did it! (it's now hours later..)

37 before turning 38 - I've got a year, wish me luck (partial for me, partial for my business)
  1. Grow my business and strive for 500 Etsy sales by the end of the year.
  2. Take certification to become an official NSO for roller derby
  3. Pack up the girls and the mister and head up north to the Adirondacks for a weekend of hiking and adventure
  4. Visit my brother in Brooklyn (he moves there on Sunday) and visit as many museums as I can pack into the trip
  5. Try new veggies from the farmer's market
  6. Finish mulching all the garden beds so they will be ready to plant in next year
  7. start a Permaculture garden in our backyard (more on this to come!)
  8. Participate in the Harvest Festival in September that is put on by the "Fabulous Beekman Boys"
  9. Go to Maine on vacation next spring with the girls (this might be difficult with Polly- but I want to try) It's been far to long since we have been up there, I miss those rocky beaches so much
  10. Get my products in one major store (any suggestions where you think they would work well would be awesome)
  11. Promote my tattoo balm to area tattoo shops in hopes of creating accounts
  12. Lose 10 pounds
  13. Break out of my comfort zone and wear cute dresses just for fun
  14. Get back out into my glass studio and learn to use my kiln
  15. Participate as an NSO in our first bout on August 24th (roller derby)
  16. Finish the renovations to my "soap room" 
  17. Get my products certified organic (this hinges on #16) This would be an amazing step
  18. Get my products on the PETA website - certified animal testing free and vegan (for my soaps) for all the ingredients that get put into the soaps. I obviously don't test on animals - I am going through the process of making sure that the companies I order my oils etc from are also PETA friendly)
  19. Learn to cook (I'm a baker not a cook)
  20. Do not buy any gifts from corporate shops - ONLY handmade, handcrafted
  21. Don't 10 percent of my sales to environmental charities that really make an impact
  22. Give a KIVA loan
  23. Take lots of bike rides
  24. Get ice cream from Skippy the ice cream truck that drives around town this summer
  25. Watch  a movie outside (set up an outdoor movie theater)
  26. Go on random drives to no where in the mister's 54 chevy truck
  27. Start saving for a trip to Ireland
  28. Take a mini road trip just to get something good to eat in some random location far from home - Road Food
  29. Go on a picnic
  30. Have cookouts and sit around a fire relaxing
  31. Paint the house
  32. Go camping (I've never been)
  33. Eat frozen custard with rainbow sprinkles as often as possible this summer
  34. Take the girls on lots of walks and adventures
  35. Go fishing
  36. Hang out with my nieces and nephews more
  37. crochet another large blanket..this time for myself!