Sunday, September 15, 2013

Buy Handmade vol 73 - Jess Vartanian illustration

This week we have gone south to Florida..



Name: Jess Vartanian
Age: 26
Occupation: Entrepreneur/ Artist 

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
Since November 2011

How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it? 
Just my name

Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be? 
Right now my etsy shop is  my part time job and work odd jobs  to pay the bills.  I would love to someday be able to just do my etsy shop full time.

How would you describe your creative process? 
I am an Illustrator and painter but I also love to reuse found items like old maps and turn them into items that everyone can enjoy.  Some of my best selling items are usually wedding related with three map hearts framed & custom map jewelry. 



Where do you get your inspiration from?  
I am inspired by nature & and animals.


What is your most cherished handmade item?  
My favorite handmade item was from my boyfriend that found an Armenian artist what makes her own jewelry.  Since I am half Armenian and I have never seen my name spelling in Armenian, it is a truly unique gift.  The necklace was made by KPEPPERJEWERLY on etsy :https://www.etsy.com/listing/109189388/armenian-name-necklace-armenian-jewelry?ref=col_view

Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?  
Other then spending a lot of time in my studio I love being outside, hiking, going to the beach, and running.

Was there ever any other job you dreamed of having growing up?  
I originally went to school for Marine Science, and always thought I was going to be a marine scientist off exploring the world somewhere. About midway through college I started taking art classes and realized my true passion.


Five years from now you will be… 
Married to my college sweetheart, working my etsy business full time doing what I love.

Describe yourself in five words: 
Passionate, Creative, Motivated

Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your <insert whatever type of music player you use here>, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?
Now We Are Free - The Gladiator Theme song
Daft Punk Torn Soundtrack
M83 Oblivion Soundtrack
AWOLNATION kill your heroes
One Republic


Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?
I had to idea what I was doing when I opened my shop and I still fell lost at times. I would say read as much as you can on-line about start-ups & the etsy blog has been really helpful in a wide range of topics.