Wednesday, September 18, 2013

wiw vol 35 - Serving Life


2011 - NR - 1 hour 25 minutes
Streaming Netflix

Storyline

Actor Forest Whitaker narrates the story of a group of inmate volunteers who staff their own hospice inside a maximum security prison in Louisiana where the average sentence is more than 90 years.


I have always had this weird obsession with watching prison documentaries. I will say, this has to be one of my favorites. It is amazing the compassion that these inmates show toward one another and to volunteer to be hospice caretakers. It takes a very special person to be able to be a hospice caretaker, while I am obviously not saying that what these men have done in their pasts is okay in any way.. but I think it is amazing this opportunity their warden has placed upon them to allow them to grow and care for each other. Just simply a great documentary.