Sunday, November 03, 2013

Buy Handmade vol 80

This week we are in Barcelona, Spain..


Name: Montse
Age: 42
Occupation: Architect
Etsy Shop:  mari cati monsina

Tell us a little about yourself.
Hi, everyone. My name is Montse. I am an architect who lives in Barcelona, Spain with my husband and our one-year-old baby girl, Maria. I combine some paid work with caring for my baby and my crochet.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
I’ve been creating all my life. Since I was a child I enjoyed making crafts, drawing, painting, sculpting, sewing or knitting ... everything I could make with my hands and my imagination. Come to my mind memories about myself sewing with my mother’s machine a dress for my favourite doll or sculping in clay my own toys. 

I knew Etsy four years ago, first as a fan, I got fascinated for Etsians talent, and since 2011, when I got pregnant, as a shop owner.

How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?
My shop’s name is ... just my name: Mari Cati Monsina, tough with the peculiarity that I discovered my third name only 12 years ago when I decided to get married. I found that I have a third baptism name ‘Catherine’ so ... Cati. And Monsina because I am fondly of the name that my daddy use to call me instead of Montse. 


Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be?
Nowadays, Etsy for me is just a hobby. But, I have to recognize that it would be great to spend your full time doing things that you truly love. In our society you have to be brave to do it.

How would you describe your creative process?
I don’t follow any strict methodology process.  Sometimes, after having an idea I begin the search of a material. Other times, it is the material which gives me an idea for using it.
When I’m working in something that I use to do many times sometimes appear something new that likes me and just have to improve it.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
Inspiration is all around, comes from everything and everywhere. Maybe you’re shopping, reading a magazine, browsing on the internet  blogs or pinterest, even when you’re doing irrelevant things, a good idea or tip can come to your mind. After that if I need,  I draw a first sketch in a notebook .  I have hundred of ideas.

What is your most cherished handmade item?
While I was pregnant I made a crocheted granny blanket for my baby. This was the first thing that I made for her and I know that it will be something to keep and remember all my life.


Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?
In my free time I also like doing crafts. I have a long list with lots of DIY waiting its turn. Apart from that I like photography, photoshop, watercolor or reading. In fact, nowadays I don’t do any of them, I just have enough time to be a mom!

Was there ever any other job you dreamed of having growing up?
I like very much drawing and painting. Sometimes I’ve thought I should do something related with that but just for kids. Maybe illustrations for books or wall painting.When I was pregnant I enjoyed so much painting some figures in my baby’s room although I was really fat.

Describe yourself in five words:
Perfectionist, dreamer, loyal, determined,  stubborn.


Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your ipod, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?
Cold Play, Adele, U2, El canto del loco, David Guetta, MatchBox 20.

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?
I say just ... do it. It’s really gratifying to see as people appreciate what you do, love it and even pay for it. Internet gave us the opportunity to make it easy, just take advantage
 Images are very important in the network so pay special attention with the photos you’ll show. I like also to take care of packaging ... I think it says a lot about a person.




Montse also wanted to share with all our readers a discount code for this week! 15% anything in her shop using: VERANELLIES15