Sunday, February 16, 2014

Buy Handmade vol 95

This week we are off to Orange California..


Name: Cyndi Grasman
Age: 40
Occupation: Top Pickle/Owner/Designer




When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?  
I can't remember a time when I wasn't creating!  I've been on Etsy about 1 1/2 years

How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?
Everyone called me Pickle as a kid.  And when I was naughty (which was often!) I was the Bad Pickle :)

Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be?
Yes it has!

How would you describe your creative process?
A complete manic stage where I run around banging my head on various surfaces and screaming at inanimate objects followed by a moment of clarity where I know exactly what i want to do.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
Food, glorious food and all the wonderful people who are in the industry.

Do you also sell your work at craft shows? • What shows have you taken part of, and do you have a favorite? 
Yes, I do shows almost every single weekend.  You can follow me on Facebook if you want to know where I will land next.  Favs?  Hmmmmmmm, I would say Patchwork.  Those ladies rock!



• How long does it take you to prepare for a show? Do you have any special methods of getting ready?

I never stop preparing for shows!  Serious!  I work 7 days a week 11 months out of the year and I am preparing every single day for shows.

How do I prepare. Hhhhmmmm, I am very ritualistic.  I have a box and a spot for everything.  I have to be, not only because I am a loveable kind of OCD Person, but because I am so busy I have to be SUPER organized.
And I do a shot of Jameson before every show to mellow me out (totally kidding).

• Describe an experience from a show (good or bad) and why that pushes you to continue with your work 
Hhhhmmmm, it was wasn't one particular time.  This actually happens at every show at least once.  Someone will (literally) run up to my booth and say "ooooooohhhhhh mmmmmyyyy gooooooooddddd!"  I have never seen shirts like these!  I LOVE THEM!  They are the best thing EVER!"  How can I get tire of hearing that?!



What is your most cherished handmade item?
Easy, my Dad made me a stain glass pickle.  Because Dads are rad and they do stuff like that for their daughters.



Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?'
I'm a huge foodie (duh!).  I love to eat, but I love even more to cook!  And my other passion in life is triathlons and marathons.  How else am I suppose to work off all that delicious food I love so much!?

Was there ever any other job you dreamed of having growing up?
Professional Kazoo Player.  Hey, we all got to dream!

Five years from now you will be…
45!

Describe yourself in five words:
Happy, Lucky, Driven, Alive, Oddball

Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your <insert whatever type of music player you use here>, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?
Journey!  Totally kidding again.  I have a real noise aversion.  I find it impossible to be creative or think coherently when any noise is happening so  I rarely listen to music and can not stand TV.  I like complete silence.  Even when I run 20 miles I never have music.

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?
Get a mentor!